LOOK AT THIS

This is Tada on Films, and I post films, music, and other stuff, but films mainly. And as the great Jonah Ryan from Veep said,
"I'm going to be updating more than I'm actually dating"
If you want to go to my other blog, you can click this one.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Remembering Kar-wai: Three Masterpieces of Wong Kar-wai (For Me)

"I'm not coming from film school. I learned cinema in the cinema watching films, so you always have a curiosity. I say, 'Well, what if I make a film in this genre? What if I make this film like this?'" 
quoted by Wong Kar-wai



Wong Kar-wai opens up a whole new world to me for the cinema.

Wong Kar-wai is one of the filmmakers from the Hong Kong Second Wave, and he's widely known for his visually claustrophobic vibes and vigorously emotional, sentimental depth. His films are very atmospherically unique, each one represents similar pattern that could disclose many matters in love and relationship such as sexual repression, betrayal, love at first sight, and so much more. And those are wrapped in very different background with only one similarity in many of his films; vividly sketchy.

I grew up watching Chinese Jackie Chan, Hao Shao Wen (Bo Bo Ho), and Bruce Lee's filmography, which makes me think (at that time), that Chinese films were just all about physical comedy and kungfu. And it all changed when I saw In The Mood for Love.

And since yesterday was his birthday (July 17th), I would like to state my three favorite films of him (since I haven't got the chance to watch his other films because of either time or I don't know where to see them).

1. AS TEARS GO BY (1988)


This was his debut feature film, it's an action romantic drama film. The content of this film is very Scorsese in many ways, and it's been known as the Asian version of Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets. It's about a small town gangster boss and his changed life since his long-lost cousin comes to his house.


But what's beautiful about this film is that, the romance can pull you in subtly. And it doesn't lose its core; the action scenes are sketchy and brutal, yet it revolves the whole romance story around masterfully, be it through friends, or lovers. The film still has the vibe of a first timer but it certainly sets the archetypal of Wong Kar-wai.

2. IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (2000)


This beautiful love story tackles issues on love like sex and cheating. The film itself is actually an art piece, because when you see it, it depicts so many issues that could fit into ones of our personal problems. This film is very sensual, unparalleled, yet it's dark in a way that you could not describe. The story itself is about the two neighbors suspecting about their spouses cheating, then makes themselves to have revenge on them.


Wong Kar-wai was applauded by the general public and received universal critical acclaim for this film for its authenticity. Sofia Coppola credited this film as her inspiration and thanked him at her Oscars' acceptance speech for her own amazing film, Lost in Translation.

3. DAYS OF BEING WILD (1990)


This is my favorite film of him.

I can't even describe how this film pictures my own life, in terms of romance or personality. The narrative is very complex, somehow incomprehensible for general viewers. But that convolution in the story itself sets the scene straight.


The wilderness, the veracity, the rapidness in between scenes, the beauty and seductiveness; each of those traits form a bizarre, sexy picture that illustrate the crudeness in relationships and the cause/effect from it. Its atmosphere is almost distant, it may break your heart to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment